Saturday, October 17, 2015

Yarn Fest - Nova Scotia Way

Good Saturday Evening from Cole Harbour Canada!

The air is crisp here in NS and I haven't seen my two besties since I got back from my vacation so I suggested going on a drive to visit a new to us yarn shop (it only opened a few months ago and we haven't been there yet) in Tatamagouche. We could catch up at the same time as they will be captive in the car and will have to listen to all my stories about my trip. 

In order to make a day of it, we decided to visit the a previously visited restaurant that one bestie wanted to go back to as she loved the fish and chips there as well as the farm market and then scoot over to Amherst because the genius behind Turtlepurl Yarns was going to there at the Nova Scotia Fibre Fest! Who knew WE had our own fibre festival right here in Nova Scotia. I know, I know, those of you that went to Rhinebeck today will be disappointed you couldn't get to this one, so I will share our adventure with you.

We landed in Tatamagouche and stopped at the farm market then visited the lovely folks at Tatamagouche Yarn and Co. 


A nice shop that sells lovely yarns - Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Malabrigo, unicorn tails (who makes those?) Berocco and lots of other squishy goodness that I could not even hope to remember. Nice selection of needles as well, including cubic dpns! The owners were intrigued by Lokken that I had knit with the Turtlepurl yarn and by the time we left, they had agreed they were going to do a knit along (KAL) using that pattern. I did mention that I might like to knit another one with blue yarn and may join in if I could get the right colour (ahem) blue yarn. (Blue is my favourite colour in case you didn't know!)

Our next stop was the Chowder House for fish and chips, chowder and homemade pie. YUM! 

We didn't eat all of that at one sitting, of course, but some of us like leftovers let's say. A great place for a nice meal, not pricey, good food. Service was slow this day as it appeared there was only one server on. We didn't mind, we weren't in a rush.

After dinner we drove to Amherst and found the Fibre Fest activities. OMG OMG I am going to actually see Turtepurl herself!!! I am so excited. Of course, I was wearing Lokken and as soon as she saw me she recognized the shawl. I had sent a pic when it was completed during the summer.  So many people have contacted her to buy the colourway (trenchcoat) that was used. That makes me so happy to hear that. I just had to ask if she had any blue (cough cough) yarn available. From under the table she pulled out a mountain of blue that she called Blue Jay (there's no red on a blue jay is there?) that was still damp and not wound into those beautiful little skeins. No matter, I was having that, all of it - well not exactly, but enough for another Lokken that I might just start with Tatamagouche Yarn & Co.! Mission accomplished. Oh, and I had to ask for a pic, didn't think she would understand if I took my shoes off though...hehehe


It was a perfect day to travel, laugh, share some fibre related stories, squeeze the yarn, try out needle felting and dream about our $64 million lotto win. Did you buy a ticket?? So for the folks that have visited Rhinebeck, I just wanted you to know that we have our own (albeit slightly smaller) version of fibre addicts here in good ole Nova Scotia. Come join us next year!

Make your day beautiful!





5 comments:

  1. Good morning from cold MN, looks like a lovely fibre fest. I wish there were one close to us. However we do have Steven & Stephen here. ( Steven B)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful day! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a great day! MadelineTosh makes the unicorn tails.

      Delete
    4. Ahhh I couldn't remember! Thank you Natalie!

      Delete